Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Nostolgic Laundry...


I have been enjoying all the pictures around the blog world taken with the instagram app. The yellowish glow brings you back to your childhood and makes everything seem nostolgic, no matter what the photo content. (Especially if part of your childhood was in the 70's) I imagine that when I was a small child in the 70's our home was surrounded by this golden glow at all times.  So if you want to feel better about your life, take a picture of it with the instagram app. Even something as mundane as laundry will make you nostolgic. 

Now that I do up to 20 loads of laundry a week I am embarrased when I think back to my laundry routine in college. I want to write letters to anyone that shared a washing machine with me and apologize! This is what my "routine" consisted of.  1. Wear everything you possibly can in your wardrobe that is clean and put off doing laundry as long as possible.  2.  Finally decide to do a few loads.  3. Load darks 4. Run off to do something way more exciting. 5. Come back and run the darks again since they have been sitting a while and probably need another rinse. 6. Finally put darks in the dryer.  7. Person waiting to use the laundry machine finally unloads your dryer full of clothes and dumps them in a pile.  8. Return to laundry room to gather your pile of cold, wrinkled clothes. 9. Repeat.

Who would have imagined that I would later become the laundry pro that I am?  I actually like doing laundry now, unless I get behind. Then I am doomed.  The thought of piles of cold wrinkly laundry sends me over the edge so I try and fold things the second the dryer beeps. I have changed my "routine" several times over the years.  It seems that someone has an accident and sheets need to be changed just when I think I am on top of things.  Monday and Tuesday are my busiest days and I do at least a load or two every other day of the week except Sunday. I try to take that day off and come Monday every laundry basket in the house is full! I have to admit my kids are the worst when it comes to laundry. They change clothes often and put EVERYTHING into the dirty clothes. (Sometimes even clean clothes I just folded...that one really makes me mad!) We change sheets often too. Now with the pool we have more towels and swimsuits.  This makes for LOTS of laundry.

My biggest challenge?  Getting everyone to take their individual baskets of clean clothes back to their rooms and put the clothes away. It drives me nuts. I think it must be sweet justice. I remember when I was about 15 we lived in military housing in Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas.  The laundry room was in the basement and my room was 4 floors above that on the 3rd floor.  My mom would do my laundry for me and nicely fold it on a table and all I had to do was go get it and put it away.  One day I remember my Mom telling me she was no longer doing my laundry since I could not even put the laundry she did away. I thought this was mean and unfair.  I felt like my sister and I were persecuted since Mom still did both of my brother's laundry.  I now think-I can't believe she held out that long!  Let this story be a warning to my children about what happens when you don't put your laundry away.  I guess I will have more patience with their laundry habits since I didn't seem to get it down until I had kids of my own seeing how I still didn't get the concept in college! 

Sometimes when I am folding laundry and it seems neverending I think how in a few years I will not have this much laundry. It will just be Ryan and I with a couple loads every few days. I will no longer have little baby sleepers to fold. There will not be any dirty soccer socks.  I will not have five million items of girls clothing since Anne changes her clothes that many times a day right now.  No more Volcom tshirts and matching plaid church shirts from the boys. It makes me sad.  I know I will miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment